Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Monkeys in my ear!

Addie has had a pretty brutal cough over the last few days. Last winter she had the same bad cough and it lasted for like a month so I wasn't too worried about it or anything. Then the night before last Mia developed the same bad cough and yesterday morning she was running a fever. I wasn't quite sure how much Tylenol I could give her so I called her doctor to find out for sure. When I was on the phone with the nurse she told me that "it sounds like h1n1 to me" WHAT?!?! So, I made an appointment for the girls to come in and get tested just to make sure. I really didn't want to expose all of our family to h1n1 if that was what they had, after all, it is Thanksgiving and we were planning on doing lots of traveling.


At their appointment the girls got weighed (Mia is still 18lbs exactly but that’s not surprising since her check up was just last week and I didn't really expect much difference, Addie is 24lbs) We got to their room and the girls got their poor little yucky noses swabbed for the flu test and then Stephanie came in. Stephanie is awesome! We love her! She examined Mia first and Mia was still pretty pissed off upset about the flu test so that wasn't fun. She pretty much screamed the whole time. And she is usually my good girl at the doctor's office! Then it was Addie's turn and I was really impressed with Addie. It was another one of those moments when you realize that your baby girl isn't really a baby any more. She sat so still while Stephanie listened for butterflies in her tummy and looked for monkeys in her ears. I was just sitting there watching her sit so still and look so serious and I REALLY wanted to know what was going on in that little head of hers. When Stephanie left the room to check on the flu test, Addie turns to me and in her most serious voice says

"Mama, I got monkeys in my ear!"

I about died laughing! She wasn't upset that their were monkeys in her ear, she just said it matter-of-factly like she just wanted me to be aware that she had little banana eating hairy animals jumping around in her ears.

She is so funny!

Oh, and no, the girls do not have h1n1, just a cold with "buckets of snot" and Mia has a pretty yucky ear infection but she always gets ear infections when she is getting new teeth so that’s pretty normal for her. I'm supposed to give them Benadryl to dry up all that yucky snot and Mia some antibiotics for her ear infection. So we will get to see everybody for Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Emily said...

That is too funny! Glad they don't have H1N1.