Monday, January 3, 2011

A traditional marriage

I have one and I like it.  I know that not every wife or mother has one or wants one but I love that Zach and I have a traditional marriage.  It's the only thing I have ever wanted out of life; to be a stay at home mom and a housewife.  I know that I won't always be a stay at home mom.  After all the kids will eventually start school and I am not just going to stay home all day by myself.  But when I do go to work, I hope it will be a job that is flexible so I can be very involved in our kids' school activities.
I get annoyed when other women (or men) give us grief about our life.  So Zach doesn't change diapers unless, on the very rare occasion, I ask him to.  That's not his job. That's MY job.  HIS job is to wake up early every morning to go to work and make the money to provide for us (and take out the trash on tuesdays and mow the lawn of course), my job is to take care of the kids and the household.  So no, I don't very often ask him for help around the house.  If you work outside the home, would you ask your husband to do your job for you? I didn't think so.  It's not that Zach is opposed to helping me with the kids or house, like some people unfairly assume, it's just that there is never a need for him to.  This Momma's got it covered!
BUT most importantly, I ENJOY taking care of the kids and keeping the house clean.  I LIKE it.  It makes me happy. Seriously. Besides, he works all day.  He should get to come home and just be able to relax and PLAY with our children.
I get really annoyed when people act like they just can't get anything done during the day with young children and if, somehow, you do manage to keep your house clean than you are obviously being a neglectful mother.  This is, quite frankly, bullshit. It's called time management.  I have no problem with it.  For example, right now, my children are all napping.  Yep. All THREE of my very YOUNG children are napping. You see, we have a routine.  We do the same thing every day. Sure some days we have a doctors appointment or a play date but it doesn't really change our routine because I don't go by the clock, we just follow the same order every day.  We wake up, we eat breakfast, we have our "lessons" (you know, the usual ABCs and 123s, etc.  I want to prepare the girls as much as possible for kindergarten) then the girls have free time until lunch.  After lunch, it's nap time.  While the kids are napping I clean the house.  MY Mother always told me that "if you clean every day, it doesn't take all day to clean a house".  Makes perfect sense to me.  After I clean, THEN I get to have "me time" which usually involves posting pictures of my adorable children on facebook and blogging.  The kids wake up and they know (but sometimes have to be reminded) that after nap all the toys stay in their room for the rest of the evening, they can continue to play and wreck havoc in their bedrooms all they want but the living room has to stay toy free.  I don't feel this is mean at all.  They have a room for a reason! After dinner, they take a bath, brush their teeth, clean up their rooms (yes, I 'make' my children clean up their rooms.), read some stories then it's bedtime.  We do this every day.  So we all know what to expect every day and therefore it is very easy to manage my time wisely.  My children aren't perfect, but they adapt well, so even though some unexpected things may occur during the day, we never have any trouble getting right back on to our routine.
But my point is that every day, my husband comes home to happy, healthy, well-taken care of children, a clean house and dinner on the table.  And we like it that way.

1 comment:

Emily said...

You've got a great family! I love the idea of a traditional family. I am spending my very first semester home FULL time with Will and soon to be baby #2. My house and our schedule has never been better. When Will was born I had to work full time while Joe was finishing up school. Last January I went back to school full time and worked part time, then in the fall I was just going to school full time and not working at all. (I am gradually getting the life of a stay at home mom!) I will have to return to school in August but for now I am loving living my dream life. I too don't plan on working full time until my kids are in school but I do want to have school behind my while I have the ambition to finish. I can appreciate your accomplishment as a mom to your kiddos. They are great kids for a reason.